Only current KU undergraduate students are eligible to apply to the Accelerated M.A. program. If you are not a current undergraduate student at KU, please review the admission requirements for History of Art’s M.A., M.A./Ph.D., and Ph.D. programs.
Application Deadline: May 15 of your Junior year
Careful course selection and steady progression through the undergraduate career is necessary to ensure all requirements for both the B.A. and M.A. degree may be completed within the 5-year time-frame. All prospective students should discuss their interest in admission to the Accelerated M.A. program with both the Undergraduate Advisor and the Graduate Academic Advisor no later than the first semester of the student’s Junior year.
Prospective students are eligible to apply to the graduate program in the second semester of their Junior year. The following requirements must be met by this time:
- Major GPA of at least 3.25 and cumulative GPA of at least 3.00;
- On track to complete all requirements for a B.A. degree in History of Art from KU by the spring semester of the Senior year
Required Application Materials
- Two letters of recommendation (preferably from professors in the major). You will be asked to enter the names and e-mail addresses for two recommenders while completing the online application. Your recommenders will automatically receive an e-mail requesting their letters when you submit the application. It is not necessary for your recommenders to send hard copies of their letters to the department if they submit their letters electronically.
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- A statement of personal and educational interests and career objectives; not to exceed 750 words. Please address how the graduate program in Art History at KU would help you to achieve your goals.
- A writing sample, preferably from an art history course, 5-10 pages of text not including the bibliography, endnotes, or images following endnotes.
Upon review of the Application for Admission, the History of Art Department will notify the student of their eligibility to begin graduate-level coursework. Final admission to the graduate program will be contingent upon the following:
- Successful completion of all requirements for the Bachelor’s degree;
- Grades of B+ or above in all History of Art graduate-level coursework taken during the student’s Senior year
An official copy of the student’s undergraduate transcript will be required if final admission is granted.