- 30 hours of art history
- Foundation Courses (9 credit hours total): HA 150 (or 160), HA 151 (or 161), and either HA 165 or 166
- Breadth Courses (18 credit hours total): At least one course at or above the 300 level in each of the following six categories:
- Art between 400-1400: European, Mediterranean, or Near Eastern
- Art between 1300-1600: European, Mediterranean, or Near Eastern
- Art between 1600 and 1700: European
- Art between 1700 and 1900: European or American
- Asian Art before 1900
- Art after 1900
- Complete an art history course approved for Goal 6 in the KU Core (3 credit hours). The Goal 6 art history course may also fulfill one of the breadth requirements above, in which case an elective course should be taken for the final 3 required hours of art history.
- Students must come to the history of art main office located in 209 Spencer Museum of Art to fill out a major declaration form.
Note: HA 100/300 is a one-semester survey of Western art history intended for non-majors and does not count toward the 30 required hours in art history. A student who takes HA 100 or HA 300 and then decides to major in art history must then also take either HA 150 or HA 151 (or both). A student who already has credit in either HA 150 or HA 151, however, should not take HA 100 or HA 300.
The main difference between the BA degree and the BGS degree is a foreign language requirement; the BA requires four semesters of a second language. For more information please contact one of the undergraduate advisors.