• Home
  • Academics
  • Degrees
  • History of Art Graduate Degrees
  • Ph.D.
  • Residence

The Ph.D. student must spend at least the equivalent of three full academic years (including the time spent in attaining the M.A.) in resident graduate study at this or some other approved University. Two semesters, which may include one summer session, after the M.A. must be spent in resident (on campus) study at the University of Kansas. During this period of residency, the student must be involved full-time in academic pursuits, which can be fulfilled as follows:

  • 9 hours/semester (6 hours/summer)
  • at least 8 hours + 30% TA or RA appointment
  • at least 7 hours + 40% TA or RA appointment
  • at least 6 hours + 50% TA or RA appointment

Employment outside the University may be used as part of the residency requirement if the student can demonstrate that the employment pertains directly to dissertation research. This type of employment will have to be approved by the Graduate Division of CLAS by petition with a supporting statement from the department.

Follow us on Instagram:

Follow us on Facebook:
History of Art Events

Apply for the
Eglinski Study Abroad Prize

Countdown to
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today