NEW major requirements effective fall 2021 (all students have the option to opt into the new requirements) NEW HA MAJOR REQUIREMENTS
OLD major requirements (spring 2021 and before):
- 30 hours of art history
- Foundation Courses (9 credit hours total): HA 150 (or 160), HA 151 (or 161), and either HA 165 or 166
- Breadth Courses (18 credit hours total): At least one course at or above the 300 level in each of the following six categories:
- Art between 400-1400: European, Mediterranean, or Near Eastern
- Art between 1300-1600: European, Mediterranean, or Near Eastern
- Art between 1600 and 1700: European
- Art between 1700 and 1900: European or American
- Asian Art before 1900
- Art after 1900
- Complete an art history course approved for Goal 6 in the KU Core (3 credit hours). The Goal 6 art history course may also fulfill one of the breadth requirements above, in which case an elective course should be taken for the final 3 required hours of art history.
- Students must come to the history of art main office located in 209 Spencer Museum of Art to fill out a major declaration form.
Note: HA 100/300 is a one-semester survey of Western art history intended for non-majors and does not count toward the 30 required hours in art history. A student who takes HA 100 or HA 300 and then decides to major in art history must then also take either HA 150 or HA 151 (or both). A student who already has credit in either HA 150 or HA 151, however, should not take HA 100 or HA 300.